In recent years, products called superfoods have become increasingly popular, which literally means super food in Polish. They have an exceptionally high content of nutrients, so consuming them increases the body's immunity and can prevent many ailments and diseases. What do you need to know about superfoods and what food to strengthen yourself with? – You will find the answers to these questions in this article.
What are superfoods?
Superfoods are simply healthy food rich in valuable ingredients that are worth including in your daily diet. However, on the other hand, superfoods are also a marketing term created by contemporary consumption trends and promoting a healthy lifestyle, and therefore also specific food products. Therefore, it is worth being a careful customer and not being tempted by the fact that one superproduct or even several of them will provide us with all the necessary nutrients needed for the proper functioning of the body. Certainly the best is a varied, balanced diet, based on unprocessed products, with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
The most popular superfoods
The most valued superfoods have a high content of antioxidants. These substances are able to neutralize free radicals, which in too large amounts can adversely affect our health because they increase the risk of cancer and atherosclerosis, as well as accelerate skin aging. So what products can we find the most antioxidants in?
- Pecans – They come from North America. They are among the leading products with a high content of nutrients, including antioxidants. They are rich in vitamins E and B1, as well as ellagic acid, which strengthens immunity and prevents cancer.
- Cranberry – It has a wide spectrum of antioxidant compounds from the group of flavonoids and anthocyanins. It is best known for its use in the treatment of urinary tract diseases. Moreover, the flavonoids contained in it prevent heart diseases and atherosclerosis.
- Red beans – They are not only a rich source of protein, but also antioxidants. Like other dark vegetables and fruits, it contains large amounts of flavonoids and proanthocyanidins, and therefore has antioxidant properties. In addition, red beans are rich in lecithin, which improves the functioning of the nervous system and supports concentration and memory.
- Blackcurrant - Its antioxidant properties are primarily due to the high content of vitamin C and anthocyanins, which give it its dark color. Antioxidants have a positive effect on the heart, lower blood pressure and regulate cholesterol levels. Moreover, blackcurrant serves as an antibacterial and antiviral agent used in the treatment of colds and digestive system ailments.
- Plum – There are many varieties, but those with the darkest skin have the most antioxidants. Plums are best known for their beneficial effect on digestion, thanks to their high pectin content, which protects the large intestine against cancer. These fruits are also rich in vitamins A, C and E - considered the vitamins of youth.
- Blackberry – Like all dark berries, it is characterized by a high content of anthocyanins, i.e. strong antioxidants responsible for sealing blood vessels. However, ellagic acid present in berries prevents the formation of cancer. Moreover, extracts from these fruits are used in ophthalmic preparations.
- Pistachios – These are delicious nuts grown mainly in the Middle East and also in California. Pistachios have many valuable nutrients - they are a source of potassium, magnesium and calcium, as well as vitamins E and B. Moreover, the carotenoids they contain (including lutein) protect the retina against the adverse effects of free radicals. Daily consumption of pistachios also reduces the risk of cancer.
Superfoods in Polish cuisine
Superfoods are not only food products imported from other parts of the world. We know many of them in our traditional, native cuisine, although we do not always realize that they can be included in the group of products called superfoods. These include pickles that are popular in Poland, mainly cabbage and cucumbers. They are rich in fiber, mineral salts and vitamins. They also have a positive effect on our immune system and prevent many diseases. In addition, the previously mentioned berries (black currant, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry), as well as walnuts and hazelnuts can be considered Polish superfoods. Let's not forget about onion and garlic, so often used in Polish cuisine. Both of these vegetables are natural antibiotics, have antibacterial properties and help treat colds. Eating them regularly can even fight cancer cells in the body. So let's be conscious consumers and choose healthy products!
Gifts of the Earth in Gdynia, 22-24/09
In the previous days we took part in the Dary Ziemi fair in Gdynia. It was an event addressed to lovers of natural products, a healthy diet and regional crafts. The event organizers aim to promote local traditions related to agriculture and harvesting. It was a great opportunity to buy vegetables and fruit from organic farms, as well as other products, such as wicker baskets from Polish creators. We cordially invite you also next year :)